The aim of the issue is to gather original papers on truly smart cities, driven by bottom up initiatives of citizens and organizations as innovators rather than by top down visions and plans that ignore the innovative potential of grassroots efforts. The connection between smart environments and bottom-up innovation practices in the framework of cities and urban agglomerations is the main focus of the special issue: how collaboration platforms, embedded systems, open data, and semantic web technologies sustain a new round of innovation driven by the creativity of citizens and the collective intelligence of their collaboration.
Submitted papers should not have been previously published nor be currently under consideration for publication elsewhere. Submissions should be directed by email to Hans Schaffers with copy to Carlo Ratti and Nicos Komninos.
- Full paper submission: 1 May 2012
- Notification of acceptance: 1 July 2012
- Revised submission: 1 August 2012
- Final acceptance notification: 15 August 2012
- Camera ready version of paper: 15 September 2012
- Publication: December 2012
Download the call: CFP_JTAER_Smart_Applications_for_Smart_Cities