Smart Grid: 10 Trends to Watch in 2013 and Beyond
This Navigant Research white paper provides insights into key issues that will shape the smart grid market in the months and years ahead, with summary forecasts of smart grid, smart metering, and automated demand response markets. The white paper also compares the development of these markets across different world regions.
Navigant Research forecasts that smart grid technology revenue will reach a cumulative total of $494 billion during the period from 2012 to 2020, with a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 10%.
Navigant Research has identified 10 key trends that will shape smart grid investment in 2013 and beyond. These topics are a starting point for smart grid stakeholders to understand how the market is likely to unfold throughout 2013 and the following years. The topics are a mixture of the expected and the unforeseen:
- Smart grid technology spending remains robust
- Smart meter shipments continue to decline
- Home energy management gains momentum
- Demand response shifts to a flexibility market
- Adoption of automated demand response accelerates
- Utilities rely more upon real-time grid analytics
- Disaster recovery and service restoration become more efficient
- Distributed energy generation poses more issues
- Meter data management struggles but survives
- Cyber security market offers limited promise