Book: The foundation for an open source city
The “Open Source City” book, by Jason Hibbets, showcases the open source culture, government policies, and economic development happening in Raleigh and acts as a guide for other cities to pursue their open source city brand. It presents how the open source characteristics of collaboration, transparency, and participation are shaping the open government and open data movements.
The book is built around Jason’s five characteristics of an open source city:
- Fostering a culture of citizen participation
- Having an effective open government policy
- Having an effective open data initiative
- Promoting open source user groups and conferences
- Being a hub for innovation and open source businesses