Discussion on innovation models
Kathy argues that Professionals in any field come in two flavors: Knowledge Sharers and Knowledge Hoarders. The hoarders believe in the value of their “Intellectual Property”(IP). The products of their mind must be carefully guarded lest anyone steal their precious ideas. But let’s face it–if our only “strategic advantage” is our ideas, we’re probably screwed. It is mostly the case that ideas are worth nothing unless executed. They are just a multiplier. Execution is worth millions.
- It’s how we apply those ideas.
- How creative we are.
- How useful we are.
- How brave we are.
- How technically skilled we are.
- How we anticipate what our users will love.
- How we learn from the ideas and work of others.
- It’s not about our ideas, it’s about what the ideas can do for our users.
Kathy also quotes some other discussions about this on other blogs (by people willing to share their ideas).