PlanIT Valley: An Intelligent City in Portugal
Networking equipment maker Cisco intends to build a sustainable, intelligent and connected city in Portugal. The company will work with Living PlanIT, a startup focused on developing large-scale sustainable technologies for construction projects and cities.
Living PlanIT has signed a Letter of Intent with Cisco to work together to build a city in Paredes in northern Portugal on a 17 sq km site which house 225,000 people and will showcase, not just the company’s construction nous but also the city will be a sustainability showcase.
The highlights / key facts of the agreement are:
- Cisco shares a common vision with Living PlanIT that cities of the future require urban services to be delivered more innovatively and managed more efficiently using technology that enables new models of managed and hosted services within public-private partnerships. The two companies are helping accelerate the development of such smart and connected cities.
- Cisco’s Smart+Connected Communities initiative is designed to transform physical communities to connected communities running on networked information, to achieve economic, social and environmental sustainability.
- PlanIT Valley will feature Cisco
Smart+Connected Communities Solutions and is the first of a new generation of greenfield cities in the world to be built on Living PlanIT’s robust, repeatable modular technology and materials platform.
- PlanIT Valley will be the world’s global innovation center for sensor networks for the following reasons:
- Living PlanIT’s PlanIT Valley has been designed to be a globally respected center of sustainable community innovation and research, and developed and operated in collaboration with some of the world’s leading companies, research and educational institutions. In PlanIT Valley, emerging technologies are developed, perfected, experienced and taken to market by Cisco, Living PlanIT and their partners.
- Living PlanIT’s design and manufacturing platforms enable the convergence of computing, network and sensing technologies with the fabric of buildings and places, demonstrated at urban scale in the development and operations of PlanIT Valley.
- PlanIT Valley will integrate tens of millions of sensors with Cisco’s network and computing platforms and integrate and demonstrate Cisco’s Smart+Connected Communities technologies and solutions at urban scale.
- Cisco and Living PlanIT will collaborate to explore new and innovative methodologies, technologies, services and business models for PlanIT Valley. The two companies will create a market development plan and other go-to-market strategies to help achieve mutual business success.
- Cisco will provide routing and switching, application networking, data center, digital media, IP interoperability and communication systems, mobility, security, storage networking, Cisco TelePresence, unified communications, video, virtualization and related services, in addition to providing the network infrastructure for Living PlanIT’s Xtreme Construction (XTC™) and Urban Operating System (UOS™) platforms.
- Cisco and Living PlanIT will work together to define their strategic collaboration in detail over the coming months, through a series of discussions and definitive agreements.
- Planit Valley: Next Generation Intelligent City
- Cisco Collaborates with Living PlanIT to Develop a Sustainable, Intelligent and Connected Community in Portugal
- Robert Eccles, Professor, Harvard Business School: A Radical Way to Fix Cities
- Harvard Business Review: A Bold New Model for Sustainable Cities