Open Data for All: 2017 Progress Report
At the fourth International Open Data Conference in Madrid, Spain in October 2016, New York City’s Chief Analytics Officer debuted the Open Data team’s six “Open Data Values.” Each of these values is presented here, along with a specific step the administration has taken to ensure that every new open data initiative reflects the Open Data for All vision: that every New Yorker can benefit from Open Data, and that Open Data can benefit from every New Yorker.
- Start with users
- Encourage purposeful and easy engagement
- Treat the publication of the dataset as the first step of opening data
- Empower agencies
- Integrate Open Data into citywide processes
- Learn, test, standardize — and learn again
According to the numbers, during this effort:
- 170 new datasets were published
- there were 140K monthly users
- there was 367% increase in inquiries to Open Data Team since the Help Desk launch
- 38 new automations were included
- it takes only 5 minutes between updates
You can find the full report here.